Cornwall’s Kynance Cove is one of the top ten locations hand-picked by Original Cottages’ team of experts as the best to provide an authentic ‘holiday feel’‘. According to new research, liberated Brits reckon they’ve got the best chance of capturing that all-important ‘holiday feeling’ by remaining on UK shores.
Almost three-quarters of us (72 percent) previously thought the true ‘holiday feeling’ could only be achieved by jet setting. Still, as lockdown restrictions ease, striking findings reveal the newfound bias towards staying on home soil.
Over three in four (77 percent) believe they are more likely to get that authentic ‘holiday feel’ in the UK, compared to under three-quarters (73 percent) who insist they need to leave the country to get their real holiday fix.
After being presented with a selection of the un-named UK and foreign destination images and asked to select those that provided the strongest’ holiday feeling’, 54 percent opted for the former option. Brits would instead swap Portugal for Penzance, according to Original Cottages’ striking new research.
Almost six in ten (56 percent) admitted they were shocked to discover the UK venue was not overseas, with the popularity of holidays abroad seemingly diminishing after lockdown.
A new behavioral science experiment by Original Cottages – the national holiday cottage company with the local touch – revealed the intriguing findings, and Katherine Templar Lewis, an eminent creative neuroscientist, explained: “From the study, we can see that one of the most stressful and counterproductive parts of a holiday is the travel itself.
“Staying closer to home cuts down on that stress and allows you to fully embrace that holiday feeling and reap the positive benefits of a holiday. “Science reveals that the help of a holiday, regardless of where can last up to a month. A change of scenery can restore our overworked minds, increase motivation and creativity and even have health and wellbeing benefits.
“Catching up on sleep, outdoor activity or simply escaping everyday worries has a powerful restorative effect on the brain and body.” Being able to drive, no long-haul flights, easier accessibility, and avoiding the stress of airports are just some of the reasons why Brits reckon staying on home soil is the best way to capture the authentic ‘holiday feel’‘. Domestic holidays are booming this summer, with over two-thirds of us (67 percent) having taken, or planning to take, a holiday in the UK.
And Original Cottages’ research revealed that being able to drive (49 percent), no long-haul flights (45 percent), easier accessibility (44 percent), and avoiding the stress of airports (43 percent) are just some of the positives of not traveling overseas.
Templar Lewis added: “After a holiday, we can often see a reduction of cortisol, the chemical associated with stress, and an elevation of serotonin, the happiness hormone. This state can only be achieved if you can capture that holiday feeling.”
To help Brits discover the best of what the UK has to offer, Original Cottages’ team of local experts have collated the top 10 ‘holiday feel’ places and activities in England and Wales:
1. The Watering Hole, Perranporth, Cornwall: Visit the UK’s only bar on the beach bar
2. Barricane Beach Café, Woolacombe, Devon: Enjoy Sri Lankan street food on the beach
3. Barafundle Bay, Pembrokeshire, Wales: This hidden gem boasts sandy shores and crystal-clear waters
4. Vineyard tours, Sussex: Sample the wine at local vineyards Ridgeview, Wiston, and Bolney
5. The Little Ice Cream Shop, Hawkshead and Windermere, Lake District: Cool down with over 40 delicious flavors of gelato on offer. Hidden holiday gems exist all over the UK – including Welsh waterfall Pistyll Rhaeadr.
6. Whale spotting tour, Yorkshire: Keep your eyes peeled for Minke whales and dolphins off the coast of Whitby
7. Portmeirion, North Wales: Escape to this beautiful Italian-sue hidden village in Wales
8. Africa Alive, Suffolk: Experience the animals of Africa at the walking animal safari
9. Sea Kayaking, Folkestone, Kent: Head to Sunny Sands beach for an adventurous tour on the water
10. The Fish Shack, Amble Northumberland: Dine al fresco with spectacular views of Amble Harbour
Sonia Holman, Marketing Director at Original Cottages, said: “We’ve always had a loyal customer base who find that ‘holiday feeling’ in the UK, and over the last 18 months, we’ve seen a broader group of people discover it too.
“Not only that, but they’ve told us that they’ve enjoyed it so much, they’re already planning their next UK break.’
“The results of our research highlight how perceptions of the UK as a holiday destination have changed, and with our truly local experts on the ground, we are uniquely positioned to provide tips for an incredible staycation – packed with ‘holiday feels’.
“Great news for those surveyed who would like to holiday in the UK but feel unaware of what it has to offer (39%).” The findings coincide with Original Cottages relaunch, which heralds the beginning of bringing its family of brands under one visual identity. To discover your next great British staycation, visit www.originalcottages.co.uk.